Restoration of the Valena C. Jones School created a new home for the Hancock County Boys and Girls Clubs and the 300+ students that attend programs. The building is one of the few surviving examples from the period of segregated schools in Mississippi. Three buildings comprise the campus: the original school building of 1947, the gymnasium of 1953, and the vocational education shop of 1956.
The concrete block structure was stripped of all hazardous materials, including asbestos, lead paint, and mercury. The masonry structure was stiffened with steel columns at the interior for storm resistance. Flat and curved sections of roof deck were replaced with wood to match the original species and thickness, and left exposed. Steel trusses at the gym were cleaned and repainted, and brand-new steel windows restore the original pattern of the elevation but provide much greater thermal performance, while maintaining operability.
Program: 23,500 SF of classrooms, gymnasium, and flexible activity space for the Boys and Girls Club.
unabridged Architecture, Architect
Sparks Engineering, Structural Engineer
Mazzetti, MEP Engineer